gag-gle noun \ˈga-gəl\ : a group, aggregation, or cluster lacking organization, which is exactly how I feel about my family every day.

Friday, January 25, 2013

Good Eats


 
I just wanted to brag that all the produce in this picture was purchased for ten dollars and change- including tax (do they tax produce?) Look at me! I'm healthy and thrifty! 
 
Also, I posted my snack chart a while ago and wanted to share our cookie recipe. It's the one sweet thing, well one of two if you count yogurt, on the chart. They are actually not as sweet as you would expect a cookie to be, so I add chocolate chips to sweeten it a little.  You can sub raisins or nuts to your taste. I adapted the recipe from this website. And I usually double the recipe and freeze half to keep fresh until the first half if gone. So, Here you go:



Heathy Oatmeal Cookies
Makes 12 cookies. (or 24 small cookies)

Dry ingredients
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour (a pinch more depending on the moisture of the mix)
  • 1 1/2 cups of Large Flake Rolled Oats
    • I pulse in a blender until a little "cut up" but not powder.  You don't have to, or you can use small flake oats.
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 Tbsp Cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup Cocoa powder (or 2-3 tbps if too much cocoa powder is too bitter for your taste)
Wet ingredients
  • 1/2 cup honey
    • You can sub sugar, but then decrease baking soda to 1/4 tsp, add an extra tbsp. of water to the eggs, and cooking temp will go up to 350
  • 1/4 cup oil, I use olive
  • 1/4 cup applesauce
  • 2 eggs (beat with 1 Tbsp Water)
  • 1 tsp Vanilla
Yummy ingredients
  • 1/2 cup raisins
  • 1/2 cup walnuts
  • OR 1/2- 1 cup chocolate chips (we mix white and dark and stay closer to the 1/2 cup)
Preparation:
 
  1. In a large bowl, mix all the dry ingredients together.
  2. In a medium bowl, mix all the wet ingredients together. Tip: When measuring out the honey, measure the oil first then use the same cup for the honey. Your honey won't stick to the cup. Or spray the measuring cup with cooking oil spray if you're not using oil. Or scrape out with a small spatula instead of a spoon.
  3. Mix the wet stuff with the dry stuff. Add the yummy ingredients and mix. If the mixture seems too wet, add a bit of flour.
  4. COOL the mix for 20 minutes in the fridge.
  5. While cooling, preheat the oven to 335 degrees.
  6. Drop by the spoonful onto your baking sheet (I recommend lining the baking sheet with parchment paper or even better, a silicone baking mat). I pat mine down a little but not much; I prefer fuller cookies.  You can press down if you prefer thinner cookies.
  7. Bake for about 15 - 20 minutes or until golden on the bottom of the cookie. The cookies freeze very well but I put them in a Tupperware because they crumble if I put them in a bag.


1 comment:

  1. If you have an extra cookies, bring a few on Sunday for everyone to taste!

    ReplyDelete