gag-gle noun \ˈga-gəl\ : a group, aggregation, or cluster lacking organization, which is exactly how I feel about my family every day.

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Baby Steps

Yesterday Will was sick.  Today we both are.  We had to stay home from church in exchange for a boring, uncomfortable day trying to balance rest and taking care of kids. 
I have done a lot of reading because I couldn't fall asleep.  I have a subscription to Whole Living magazine.  I was going to let it expire because it's not quite my style, but this month's issue had some things that inspired me.

First, the idea that Yoga can curb cravings.  The mag reports:

 “When you don’t get enough daylight, you produce less serotonin,” says Barbara Olendzki, a registered dietitian at the University of Massachusetts–Worcester. And low levels of the hormone can increase our cravings for carbs. But yoga can help. Food cravings are often anxiety-related, and the calming practice may curb our impulse to polish off the office M&Ms.



Now, for me, cravings are completely anxiety related, but the relationship is not causal.  I get anxiety because I know I'm craving something that isn't good for my body.  But I like yoga, so I'm going to try leaving the kitchen and striking a pose when I really really really want to bake sugar cookies. The reason I stopped doing yoga at home previously is that my two year old thinks I'm pretending to be a jungle gym when I'm in down dog or other similar poses.


Second, and article titled "Back in Action" suggested going three weeks without 6 "Liver-bullying foods":
Processed Anything
Added Sugars
Dairy
Gluten
Alcohol
Coffee
 
See why I was going to let my subscription expire?  This is obviously not geared to us mortals.  But I decided that it wouldn't be bad for me to pick one thing and try life without it.  Since my main problem is that I have no self-control when it comes to sugar, and I already abstain from alcohol and coffee, that leaves me with dairy, gluten and processed foods.  I don't know yet.  What would you do? (Incidentally, the magazine is closing down, anyway.)
 
 
Lastly, there's a book recommended called Missing Out: In Praise of the Unlived Life by Adam Phillips.  But I think reading the review was thought-provoking enough that I don't need to read the book.
 
 
"We are haunted by thoughts of what might have been, whether romantically or in our career choices.  "In our unlived lives." he writes, "we area always more satisfied, far less frustrated versions of ourselves." the author argues against indulging in such wistful thinking.  He urges readers not to dwell on supposed missed opportunities, which might have ultimately disappointed us anyway."
 
I am certainly guilty of daydreaming of another life.  But after reading this I wondered: If I had another life, would I be daydreaming of being a mother, with adorable kids and a fabulous husband?  Because that is what I have.
 
Now I need to come up with a plan to battle the waking dreams.  And my kitchen is still a mess.

4 comments:

  1. Sugar ruins lives. Im currently trying to do something similar. Apparently I have a gut that people tried to tell me about and I never listened! So Im gonna get rid of that ugly nasty thing. Tell me how yours goes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That statement: Sugar ruins lives
      I need to pin it up somewhere. Good luck. Keep checking the blog, I plan to chronicle my research and progress.

      Delete
  2. I'm fascinated by your discoveries, keep them coming. I am also off Alcohol and coffee, and dairy, as much as possible because i'm pretty sure I'm allergic. But I pretty much love sugar and treats.

    I've had the dream problem too, I think most people do, but I had that realization that I honestly only live ONCE and I won't go back to high school or college or relive my wedding I can only move forward and make it the best future possible. So I future dream, but try to keep it reasonable. Also I had to stop watching HGTV and that helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! HGTV. Toni, We don't have cable anymore, which I'll admit is great, but I totally know where you are coming from. My problem is that I don't want to relive the past and make different choices, in my dreams I want to drop my current self into a completely different world. I think that world sometimes puts a dimmer on the real one.

      Delete