gag-gle noun \ˈga-gəl\ : a group, aggregation, or cluster lacking organization, which is exactly how I feel about my family every day.

Saturday, January 12, 2013

Fix It

This is a self-help post.  It's probably not that interesting, but I need to write it down in a public place so I have the illusion of accountability.

I need a change.  Here are my symptoms:

 
Constant Severe Fatigue
Cyclical Depression/Despair
 Constant Loss of Motivation/lethargy
Constant Laziness/Sedentary lifestyle
Periodic Severe Grouchiness (Possibly PMS related)
Constant Sugar Cravings
Anxiety, usually when I try to not eat sugar
Periodic Migraines
Constant Messy Kitchen
 
Things I've tried:
 

Hormone Therapy
Prenatal Supplements
Iron Supplements
Cleaning the Kitchen on a mostly regular basis
 
 
 
Things I would like to try:
 
Learn more about Sugar addiction
Find more recipes with higher amounts of fruits and veggies that my family will eat
Therapist
Vitamin D Supplements
Dance class (I hate regular exercise classes)
Cook/Food prep Once a week
Teach my kids and hubby to rinse their dishes
Find out more about what I can do
 
 
At this point I'm pretty convinced that my major problem is sugar, and that if I can just kick the habit my life will greatly improve.  But it's stupidly hard.  Addictions are not easy to overcome.  Also, the more research I've done, the more I'm convinced that our entire food supply is pretty much poisoned.  But I'm not willing to lay the money down for organic everything, or stop buying cereal, so I've got to find a way to realistically make changes. 
 
Any advice or experiences?  Please be kind in comments, it's not easy to admit these things in public.

5 comments:

  1. I, obviously have no room to give advice on this sort of thing, but a guy I grew up with wrote a nice blog post about something very similar. It might be a nice jumping off point.

    http://corykerr.com/2012/03/08/sugar-its-making-us-fat-oh-and-its-killing-everyone/

    I'm interested to see how this all works out for you! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have Janelle Francis' cookbook. I think it might help with this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and if there is a time of day you mostly eat sugar try making that time of day less convenient for eating. For example, if you eat sugar during Liam's nap, get him to stop taking a a nap (kidding, but it is the one bonus to your kid giving up naps, oh how I miss them). More realistically - when I am trying to cut down on sugar I brush my teeth when my kids brush. That way I don't eat after they go to bed because I HATE brushing twice in one night. And of course everything I eat while they are sleeping is sugar :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just ran across this online nutrition program, it's $150 for 15 days, which is a bummer but I am sorely tempted. http://coursebeyond.com/a/prescribenutrition/nynr2/

    My mom (a nurse) is big on Vitamin D especially during the winter. She suggests I take 5-6,000 iu/day. which seems like a lot but she says we need all we can get and it makes us healthier and happier. So that's not too hard to try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! I have been on a similar diet to try and get pregnant and it is REALLY HARD. But I can tell you that once you start trying to cut things out, you get faster at finding the things that don't have it! I think the big key is making a lot of your own stuff, like bread. Get shredded wheat for cereal, buy the natural peanut butter that just has nuts and salt, and use stevia as a sweetener! It's not a perfect substitute but it sure does help a lot! (just don't bake with it, trust me) Anyway, if this is in any way helpful (which I'm sure it's not) email me anytime (michaela.lebaron@gmail.com) and we can talk about this diet stuff anytime. I'm doing it for different reasons, but in the end they're pretty similar. Good luck! This stuff is seriously hard but will make a huge difference in your life! I already feel a lot happier and healthier! :)

    ReplyDelete