gag-gle noun \ˈga-gəl\ : a group, aggregation, or cluster lacking organization, which is exactly how I feel about my family every day.

Saturday, September 1, 2012

Door Number One

Okay, front door is pending.  I decided to start our painting on the side door just to get the hang of things before tackling the front door that everyone who even drives by will be able to see.  Boy am I glad I did.



This was the original door.  It's on our shed now, which didn't have a door before.  Yes, it it a hollow-core interior door with paint splashes on it (it came that way), but we needed a door to keep our sandbox toys safe.



The side door was supposed to be white.  And it was.  For a minute.  Before I put oil-based varnish on it.  Then it looked pee-colored.  This is one of those times where a picture does not do it justice.  The door was gross.  The varnish did not go on evenly or smoothly. I wanted to throw up every time I looked at it.  Or smelled it.  Varnish stinks.


So we stripped the varnish, a time-consuming, multi-step process involving acids for which we should have had one of those science lab chemical showers. Yeah.  So long story short, (too late, I know) it took us one three-hour day and then another 8-hour day of work and our entire 50-dollar Lowe's gift card to get.... drumroll.... a white door!

At least it locks.

We had to fix both sides of the door plus the door frame. Yes, I painted the ENTIRE thing.  I was hoping it would dry clear, cut me some slack.  Will has made it clear to me that if I don't like what I'm seeing on the front door as we paint it then STOP.  I thought that was good advice that I would pass on to you. I don't know how to phrase it universally, so here's a proverb you can take to heart:

When you see the color is pee, stop painting.

1 comment:

  1. I just want you to know how hard I am laughing at you. But mostly because I know the feeling... after doing so much work to our own house Todd and I have many similar tales! Brace yourself for many more!

    ReplyDelete