gag-gle noun \ˈga-gəl\ : a group, aggregation, or cluster lacking organization, which is exactly how I feel about my family every day.

Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Chocolate Mousse Pie

Happy 4th!  What's more American than apple pie?  Chocolate everything.  We American's have a corner on what I affectionately call the "cheap chocolate" market. So I'm sneaky and add in extra cocoa to my chocolate confections to make them even more chocolatey.

I always make apple pie when I bake for Independence Day, but the most popular at Heath family gatherings is the chocolate pie.  So I make two of those. And now you can, too.


Anna’s Chocolate Mousse Pie

Ingredients
2 prepared 8-inch chocolate cookie pie crusts*

1 tbsp unflavored gelatin
3 tbsp cold water
1/2 cup boiling hot chocolate (any desired flavor)
Pinch salt

¾ cup sugar
3-4 tbsp cocoa powder (3 for regular, 4 for dark chocolate pie.  I use 4.)
2 c heavy cream, very cold
2 tsp vanilla

Method
1. Prep a mixing bowl and beaters by placing in the freezer for at least 15 minutes.  Chill cookie pie crusts in refrigerator as filling is being prepared.

2. In a small bowl, sprinkle gelatin over cold water; stir and let stand 1 minute to soften.  Add hot chocolate and stir until gelatin is completely dissolved.  Let stand to cool.  (Alternately, refrigerate just until cool, but not gelled.) Mix in salt.

3. In chilled mixing bowl, stir together sugar and cocoa powder.  Add heavy cream.  Beat at medium speed until stiff peaks form.  Gradually pour in cooled gelatin mixture and vanilla, beating continuously at high speed until well-blended and soft peaks form.

4. Spoon into chocolate cookie pie crusts and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or until firm enough to serve.

Makes 2 pies.
* You can use store-bought crust, but I  like to make my own and then I can garnish the top of the pie with leftover cookie crumbs.







No comments:

Post a Comment