gag-gle noun \ˈga-gəl\ : a group, aggregation, or cluster lacking organization, which is exactly how I feel about my family every day.

Monday, March 18, 2013

St. Patty's Day

I don't know how St. Patrick's day became a holiday for family tradition, but each year we wear green and try to have an Irish themed dinner.  Last year is was corned beef and cabbage.  The cabbage and potatoes were delish, but the beef was below expectations.
 This year I decided to make a hash of the same ingredients, but it turns out if you wait until the day before St. Patty's and go to the grocery store with the best deal on corned beef, they will be sold out.  The guy at the store told me people were making off with cart-fulls of beef.

So, next choice was a meatball hash.  All the same ingredients except replace corned beef with meatballs.  I made the meatballs and prepped the potatoes, onions, cabbage and carrots, so all Will had to do at dinner time was saute it all together.  


Big hit with the grown-ups.  Liam usually loves meatballs, so we thought it would be a hit with him, too.  But they only ate a moderate amount.  I'm sure they'll grow to love it, though, because this dish is a keeper!

I don't know a whole lot about Irish cuisine, but I plan on doing some research and mixing it up a little each year.  Next year I plan to add an authentic Irish dessert, which preliminary research reveals will probably contain potatoes, apples or whiskey.

No comments:

Post a Comment