gag-gle noun \ˈga-gəl\ : a group, aggregation, or cluster lacking organization, which is exactly how I feel about my family every day.

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Kitchen Wall

New home project!  We have a wall in our kitchen that's right by the door we use to go in and out all the time.  It always had our shoes stacked on the floor in front of it, ugly, dirty switches and outlets, it had dents and uneven paint and a huge eyesore of an out of service intercom.

I needed to fix this space for my own personal sanity. (It's not the only place in my house like that, either)

Here are the pictures!



Before.  Blah.

Close up of the awesome intercom

I tried to rip that thing out numerous times but in the end the hubby had to be called in.  I don't know how he did it, but I'm glad it's gone!

Patching the wall

Mudding the patch

Spackle all over and sand and spackle and sand and repeat.

Texture and Primer.  It looks like a whole new wall!  I would walk into the kitchen during the days of priming (I let dry almost 24 hours between coats) and just say, "Good morning, beautiful wall." Oh, and smile.

The first (and, surprisingly, only major)  mistake was this color.  Ick.  What was I thinking?  You look at those swatches of color at the paint store and you don't realize how dark and small it will make your room feel when you paint a whole wall that color.  Maybe it would be fine if we had 12 foot ceilings instead of 8.




Ahhh.  Much better!

And now, so that the shoes don't go back to piles on the floor, we got these beautiful cabinets that fit perfectly in the space and my kids love putting their shoes away!  We'll see how long that lasts. But until the novelty wears off: Hello, beautiful wall!  (Link will take you to a similar product from ikea.  They don't have ours listed online.)



1 comment: