gag-gle noun \ˈga-gəl\ : a group, aggregation, or cluster lacking organization, which is exactly how I feel about my family every day.

Friday, February 27, 2015

Lunchbox Pizza

Reese has been coming home with a lunchbox full of her lunch for the majority of the year now.  "what do you eat?" I ask her.  Mostly she tells me she shares with friends, but since most of her lunch is still in the box, I don't know what she's sharing with them.

She's slowing stopped eating any sort of protein, too.  She liked Go-gurts, until one splattered on her when she opened it.  She doesn't like peanut butter sandwiches anymore, and won't eat plain peanut butter on a spoon, or peanuts in general.  She used to like ham and cheese roll-ups (we would roll cheddar up in lunch meat) but has changed her mind on those.  She won't eat string cheese anymore.  We put cottage cheese in her lunches and that worked for about two weeks.

So we've been having trouble packing lunches.  The other day she came home and told me that her friend let her try one of her home-lunch pizzas.  She said she put the sauce and the cheese and the pepperoni on it and it came with a piece of chocolate.  This sounds suspiciously like a Lunchable,


And I have not yet caved in to the pre-made lunches.  So far, with the occasional exception, our lunches have been entirely made from scratch- mostly to save on cost, a little because I like to know what's going into my kid's bodies.  But there is room for compromise here!

Pita bread + pepperoni + shredded mozzarella + home made marinara sauce = Reese actually eats lunch again!  Yay!

She likes it so much she asked to have it for dinner.  I was worried about her getting sick of it, but Will and I are going out tonight to eat dinner with someone I am interviewing for a school project, so she picked the right day to ask for this simple dinner.

So we'll call this a win.




2 comments:

  1. how do you package it for a lunch box or bag?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question! Next time I pack lunches with these i'll try to take pictures.
      I put pepperoni and cheese together in a snack-size ziploc.
      I put sauce in a condiment-sized container with lid (8 for $1 at the dollar store)
      + a plastic reusable spoon for scooping and spreading
      Then I put all of the above, plus the pita bread into a gallon-sized ziploc. This will seem like too big a bag, but the kids use the bag as a plate so the pizza doesn't sit on the mystery-germ school tables.
      I also pack a napkin.

      Delete