gag-gle noun \ˈga-gəl\ : a group, aggregation, or cluster lacking organization, which is exactly how I feel about my family every day.

Saturday, October 31, 2015

Halloween

This year I tried to start making costumes early so I wouldn't be doing last minutes stuff.  It sort of worked.  The kids got costumes, but not with all the detail that I had planned.

At least we got pumpkins carved a week before the big day!



We looked at images online to carve, but in the end both kids just wanted to do a face.  They each picked out a pumpkin that they were excited about.  Reese loved the odd-tall pumpkin and Liam was excited to pick out a pumpkin small enough for him to carry around all by himself.


We've given up on real candles, and this year's dollar store electric tea lights change color!

Now for costumes.  


Reese wanted to be Link from the video game Zelda because she has watched her aunt Kenzie play the games and loves them because she knows Kenzie loves them.  I was going to be Zelda to go with her costume, but if you've seen Zelda, you know making a costume for her would be no easy task.  So I hopped on the Star Wars band wagon with Liam.
Reese:  Link (Zelda video games)


Liam was torn between Obi-Wan Kenobi or a storm trooper.  Costco had storm trooper costumes, which would have saved me some time, but in the end he picked the Jedi.  

Liam: Obi-wan Kenobi


After rejecting Zelda, I chose to be Han Solo (relatively easy costume) and Will then decided he would be Princess Leia to match. 

Anna: Han Solo

 I started making Will's costume, but then worried about embarassing the kids, so we switched him to Darth Sidious, the bad guy who shoots lighting from his hands. 


Will: Darth Sidious



Will and I were able to go to an adult party the day before Halloween this year, which I thought was fun.  Then we did trunk-or-treating.  We handed out some pencils, tops, balloons, and stickers as participation in the Teal Pumpkin Project (#tealpumpkinproject), which is a movement to be inclusive of kids who have food allergies and therefore have a hard time with Halloween festivities.



 Will took the kids around the block for a little trick-or-treating on the way home, and then the kids filled up their treat boxes and I got to keep the rest!

Happy Halloween!


No comments:

Post a Comment