gag-gle noun \ˈga-gəl\ : a group, aggregation, or cluster lacking organization, which is exactly how I feel about my family every day.

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Monster Trucks

I don't know why Google Chrome isn't letting me blog, but I thought for a whole week that maybe the system was down.  Or I would have posted before.

Three weeks ago the kids brought a pop-up truck book home from the library.  One of the pop-up trucks was a monster truck.  It was running over a pop-up car.  Reese, with her tender heard, asked if there were people in the car when the truck was running it over.  She was very concerned.  We had to explain that monster trucks were just for fun, and that they didn't hurt people (on purpose, but we left that part out).  To prove the point, Will found some monster truck footage on Youtube.  Ever since the kids have been obsessed with monster trucks.

 

 
We let them earn a trip to see monster trucks in real life.

 
It was really loud.  Thank goodness we have family and friends with those ear muff sound cancelling thingies.  I have no idea what they are really called.


I got a groupon (Thanks for the tip, Mom) for really good seats for less than we would have paid for bad seats if we had gone through the box office.  Score 1 for being frugal!
 
Also, rather than buy souvenirs at the event, I used some fabric scraps to sew them some monster truck goody bags for free and filled them with things for much less than purchasing them there. Score 2 for being frugal!
 
Toys R Us was having a Hot Wheels sale and Hot Wheels happens to make monster truck toys. This truck, Obsessed, was one of the trucks at our show!
 
Monster truck shirts pre-purchased at Target for 1/4 the cost of buying at the event.  I put them in the kids drawers the night before so when they got dressed in the morning they would find them and get excited.

And Obsessed is the truck in blue
 
We got a little footage of him before Liam even opened his bag (we waited until we were there to give the kids the goody bags) to find his toy matched a truck in the arena!
 
PS: In case anyone else ever tries to save money by pre-buying souvenirs, they always seem to have a glow in the dark or light up trinket to buy at big events, and I looked online to see if I could find what they sell at monster truck rallies.  I couldn't, and ended up getting the kids glow stick wands at the dollar store so they would have something to wave around.
In the unlikely event that you are going to a monster truck rally and want to save money like me, they sell LIGHT UP CHECKERED FLAGS.  Had I known this, I would have purchased a small amount of checkered fabric and sewn or glued them to a glow stick.  And then I would have gone to the event to find that they are only $5 anyway.
 



2 comments:

  1. you are a freaking frugal genius. I took my kids to the circus and I had no idea they would have all these extra things my kids would whine about the whole time. In case you are planning a trip to the circus, here is what you need: 1 paint their faces before you go, goody bags (genius) full of treats and drinks, light up wands, maybe a toy elephant or tiger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I always try to pre-buy things that are similar to what they'll have at an event, so the kids don't feel left out. I would never have thought to paint faces, good to know!

      Delete